Saga has announced that it will require all passengers to have been vaccinated against Covid-19 at least 14 days before departure.
The operator stated all guests should be fully inoculated, meaning both doses of the vaccine. It added that guests will be required to show their vaccination document and/or evidence at the time of boarding.
If guests have not had both doses at least 14 days before departure they will not be permitted to board and will be given a different date or a full refund, Saga confirmed.
Ocean cruises are currently scheduled to restart with new ship Spirit of Adventure’s inaugural voyage on 4 May. Spirit of Discovery will return to service on 2 June.
In a statement, Saga said: “The health and safety of our customers has always been our number one priority at Saga, so we have taken the decision to require everyone travelling with us to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19.
“Our customers want the reassurance of the vaccine and to know others travelling with them will be vaccinated too. To allow our customers time to get vaccinated, we are moving the restart date for our travel businesses to May.
“Our new vaccination policy will be in addition to the detailed arrangements we have already put in place for when cruises and other holidays restart.”
Other measures in place for cruises departing in May and June include:
- Pre-departure Covid-19 testing in the terminal for customers, including full medical screening
- A reduced capacity of customers on board to a maximum of 800
- Increasing crew to customer ratio, to enhance cleaning regimes on board
- Private chauffeur car per household up to 250 miles
- Social distancing which feels subtle on board our spacious ships
- Additional enhancements to a state-of-the-art air conditioning, which already provides 100 per cent fresh air in all public areas and cabins
- Improved and expanded medical facilities with a new dedicated isolation area
- Double medical team